POLL: Is C6 hanging on exit for you?

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software

Are you getting occasional "hang on exit" problems with C6?

64bit - Yes
34%
64bit - Never
20%
32bit - Yes
19%
32bit - Never
27%

Total votes: 558

lights

Re: POLL: Is C6 hanging on exit for you?

Post by lights » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:21 pm

JBridge can't infect your system. It doesn't even get loaded by your system unless you load a bridged plugin. It is possible that if you load a project with a bridged plugin and that plugin is unstable in a bridged configuration you may have crashes. But this could be true of a native plugin that i loaded without jBridge as well.

But it's impossible that Cubase would behave worse just because you have jBridge installed.
-darren
music: www.lightsfadelow.com
follow lights fade low on facebook

i7 980x 18GB RAM; ProFire2626; Win7; everything x64

Henky

Post by Henky » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:27 pm

All very well but this topic is about Cubase hanging/crashing on exit, not while running or in the middle of operation.
If that was the case i would consider doing a complete reinstall of all components as reople suggests.
As it is i still think Steiny should revise the shutdown procedure and make it failsafe after all they invented VST and plug-ins causing a crash should be banned all together.
There should be some kind of standard for plug-ins and if the cause a crash they're just no good...
Then again if Cubase crahes without any plug-in loaded what's goning on?
Why doesn't Steiny take notice of this problem?

reople

Post by reople » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:29 pm

Well!!

At least i would give it a try.

Try to uninstall all of your plugins including all folders and registry keys.

Then i would install and test cubase withe all the wait it would take to scan plugins and shutdown etc.....
I know it's a lot of waiting but i have done it myself and now my system is perfect.

If your cubase is good without any of 3rd part programs/plugins installed i guess you will notice when you hit the program/plugin that causes you troubble. skip this and proceed until your all set. Then you will see what was F***** with you and then google a fix from there.

Maybe i'm talking *flower* in your eyes but this method is working, but it's much work and wait.

SOOOOOOO many things happends with the computer when you add 3rd part programs. Can anyone tell me what is happening in the registry of windows, because i don't know, BUT!!! one thing i know is that when you add programs to your computer there is things happening deep down in the system that us ordinary users have no control of.

To me it's very strange that all referring to steinberg with a fix on this. I know for sure that the program that steinberg released are not constructed to only function on a certain computer configuration and certain type of hardware.
I think the problem is that there are so many computers out there being used as DAW but does not fulfill those criterias when it comes to hardware and compabillities of mixing hardware and software with eachother.

Steinberg released cubase6. it's not perfect but i see now after searching and fixing and reading that steinberg was not the problem. it was me. i must have done something wrong somewhere when i installed things.

i know for sure that it's easy to ask for a fix but i would for sure make sure my hardware and system being compatible and ready for use as a DAW.

I did this and did not blame steinberg and prayed for a easy fix. I went the long road and did some really heavy searching and i then solved the problem myself and it was nothing steinberg could fix.

BUT AGAIN!!!! I'm not saying steinberg and the release of cubase6 is perfect because it's not!!!!!
But i'm sure that in most of this compability problems there is the user itself that can fix it.

Lasse

lights

Post by lights » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:22 pm

So are you saying you did identify a plugin that was causing problems?
-darren

Henky

Post by Henky » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:29 pm

reople wrote:i see now after searching and fixing and reading that steinberg was not the problem. it was me. i must have done something wrong somewhere when i installed things.
You can't be serious about this, how can you blame yourself?
You don't even know what it is you might have done wrong!
A setup or upgrade procedure has to be failsafe and should allways result in a perfect working system.
reople wrote:SOOOOOOO many things happends with the computer when you add 3rd part programs. Can anyone tell me what is happening in the registry of windows, because i don't know, BUT!!! one thing i know is that when you add programs to your computer there is things happening deep down in the system that us ordinary users have no control of.
That maybe so but a registery key should never ever cause a program to crash and doing so on exit is even more weird.
I really wonder what this registery key (or other misconfiguration) could be that it causes Cubase to crash or hang.
And ones we know what causes the problem the next question is: is it the registery key/misconfiguration itself or is it the way Cubase terminates the plug-in.
Anyway, Steiny just can't expect everyone who encounters this problem to do what you did and reinstall everything from scratch, that's not really user friendly.
It just a matter of "If error then do something else" rather then "If error then I don't know what to do and stop working" :mrgreen:

reople

Post by reople » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:49 pm

No i did not!!!

But it's no problem to see how cubase act's after you install a program or plugin.
If cubase act normal before you install and after act different it's really simple to understand what make problems.

How does cubase act when it's all alone without any plugins or programs? My was lightning fast.

regarding the other of your post i think you are wrong. jbridge is installed in your system and when it's installed it's in the system and the registry has changed. even if you not start the plugin. the changes the installer has made to the system is permanent.
Hvat about all the programs/viruses that users don't even know it's in the computer. this are programs that infect the computer and users never know they have it installed. (just to ilustrate programs making changes for user even not to be recognised)

What i mean to say here is that when you install a program or app. There's being changes made to the whole OS.
This changes is permanent even if you use the programs or not.
This changes may cause problems for other programs to work properly.
Like in my computer.

There was some bug somewhere in the OS. MADE BY ME DURING INSTALLATION OF ALL MY PLUGS AND PROGRAMS!!!!!

Cubase worked. All of my programs and plugs worked but i found it strange that it took so slong time to startup and close cubase, even when using cubase it was slow.
I tested and tested and tryed different configuration and tweaked away as the best i could.
I tryed everything.
I even wrote jbridge and asked.

Then two days ago i started to cleanup my computer. uninstalled everything. Installed then all my "things" one by one and tested it before and after a certain install. Started with cubase6 and tested it clean.

Yesterday evening i was finnish with this and now it's running like a dream and i don't know what was done wrong but there was something.

SO!!!!!! Don't take anything for granted in computers. Like you say in a previous post that it's impossible that jbridge can cause any trouble. Well i do not agree with you in this.
But if you like to believe this and not want to try different things it's up to you.

I SOLVED MY PROBLEM WITH CUBASE HANG ON EXIT!!!!! by doing this and not leave anything not tryed.

Lasse

starcorp

Post by starcorp » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:10 pm

cubase 6.01 crashs on exit on my laptop with an virus ti as audio card, and in my studio with an scope xite as audio card most of the times. win7 hp 64 bit. cubase 32 bit.

jan

lights

Post by lights » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:11 pm

Your understanding of how DLLs load and how Windows works is flawed. Unless you had a bridged plugin loaded there is no way having jBridge on your system affected Cubase crashing on exit or your ASIO meter. JBridge doesn't run in the background when a bridged plugin isn't loaded. The registry stores program settings but jBridge settings wouldn't impact Cubase unless a bridged plug was loaded.

I'm glad your problem disappeared but your method of solving the problem is not something I'd recommend doing for anyone else.
-darren

reople

Post by reople » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:32 pm

you are rightin this. MY understanding of OS and going in deep there are like zero, and i don't feel the need of getting this knowledge.
I am not trying to be a computer doctor here.

In this forum users can share experiences and talk about different problems and how to solve this.

I was just trying to give tips of how i did solve my problem but it seems like this is not a good thing to do because people here start to discuss.
All i did was trying to help other who are frustrated of having troubble with their system.

it worked on my computer.

I'm not asking and saying you must do what i did.

But for people trying to solve problems this might be a way to do it. But for people who is focused in logic explanations in how computers work and what dll is doing and all this........... leave it. don't bother because you know best what's good to do, But this don't mean that other people can try out things and maybe fix problems. even if there isn't a logic explanation of the fix.

Again!!! when i enter this forum, it was by good meaning sharing my experiens and try to tips other who search for a fix, not to discuss with people sitting here and meaning things.

Jeff Hayat

Post by Jeff Hayat » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:27 am

lights wrote:So are you saying you did identify a plugin that was causing problems?
No one identified any plugin that was causing problems. I am not sure if someone claims that they did or not; if anyone has, their methodolgy is seriously flawed. Please read the ENTIRE rest of this thead:

Jeff Hayat wrote:Once again to be clear:

Project open, NOT running, close Cubase, Cubase hangs occasionaly
No project open, close Cubase, Cubase hangs occasionaly

Once again to be clear:

Happens with plug-ins loaded
Happens with no plug-ins loaded

Once again to be clear:

This has NOTHING to do with 32-bit plugs. If the occasional hang happens with NO plugs loaded, and the occasional hang happens with some 32-bit plugs loaded, and the occasional hang happens with ONLY 64-bit plugs loaded, this obviously has NOTHING to do with 32-bit plugs. Please, let's get off the 32-bit plug area. Thank you.

Johnny B Richman wrote:+1
I observe exactly the same scenarios which Jeff just described thoroughly and I agree with his conclusions.
Bernard Focquet wrote:+1
Same here...

Cheers,
Bernard
Arjan P wrote:+1 - Exactly! Well put.

Luck, Arjan
If "No project open, close Cubase, Cubase hangs occasionaly" and "Happens with no plug-ins loaded" are true for several people, and more people have claimed that they see the hanging with auido-only projects, that means this problem IS NOT plug-in related, regardless of what anyone else thinks they might have found.

Cheers.

lights

Post by lights » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:35 am

I was simply trying to tease out what reople was trying to get at with his uninstall and reinstall every plugin post. I'm sure there are lots of ways Cubase is hanging on exit... Unfortunately.

I'm the OP so I've been following the thread since it started ;)
-darren

Gr8h8m

Post by Gr8h8m » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:32 pm

shai.nagar wrote:Happens here as well. It happens almost every time, even if no projects are loaded and even when I open Cubase and immediately close it.
I experimented different hardware and software configurations and I'm pretty sure it is somehow related to my UAD-1e card. When I disable the UAD card from its control panel, open Cubase then close it with our without loading projects, the problem seems to be gone.
Out of curiosity what BSOD were you getting?
Please make sure that you raise a support ticket with UAD - only by a bunch of us mentioning it will anything get done.

timmyboylad

Post by timmyboylad » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:05 pm

I think BSOD issues are fine here too but just to reiterate what this post started as, it seems that the original poster was experiencing what I and many others are and that's not a BSOD on exit but just a hang (thus the "hang" in the original subject line and not "crash").

For me, the only thing certain is that once open and left open, I can load and close any number of projects without any problem as long as I don't close the program. But I have not yet found the pattern for the hanging on exit. It happens a lot sometimes, no matter which plug ins I'm using or it happens occasionally under the seemingly same circumstances.

I'm not sure yet but it seems that if I close the project first wait a few seconds then close the program, that I MAY not experience this problem. I have gotten in the habit of doing this and it seems like it's been a while since I had a hang on exit.

That's what I know
Desktop: Cubase Pro 9.0.30 Wavelab Pro 9.1, Halion 6, Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2AI, CPU Intel Core i7 3.4gHz, Motherboard Asus P8z77-v LX, 16gb RAM, Video Card MSI R5450 (no fan), PSU Zalman ZM600 HP, Zalman Reserator 1 liquid cooled system, Windows 10 x64 Home Premium, Pro Tools 12.7.1, Waves Mercury Native 9

Laptop: MacBook Pro (15 in), 2.4 gHz Intel Core i7, 8 gb RAM, OSX El Capitan 10.11.6, Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Presonus StudioLive 24.4.2AI, Philips DVD+-RW SDVD 8820 SATA drive, Wavelab Pro 9.1, Cubase Pro 9.0.30, Halion 6, Pro Tools 12.7.1, Waves Mercury Native 9

TabSel

Post by TabSel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:52 pm

any news on this?

Since v6.0.2 Cubase x64 crashes on Application Quit on my system. It DID NOT crash with 6.0.1, the system was in no way altered hard- or software wise, between a 6.0.1 session and a 6.0.2 session.

Delicieuxz

Post by Delicieuxz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:59 pm

Same. Since the 6.02 patch, Cubase locks up on exit for me, and I'm also on Win7 64 bit - but I'm running Cubase 32 bit version.

Johnny B Richman

Post by Johnny B Richman » Fri May 13, 2011 10:11 pm

bump
Win7 x64 SP1, Intel Core i7-2600K 3,4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3, RME Fireface 400, MIDISport 4x4, MSI GeForce GTX 1060 + 2x HP ZR2440w displays
Cubase Pro 10.0.20, WaveLab 9.5.50, HALion 6

bern

Post by bern » Fri May 13, 2011 10:30 pm

I upgraded to Windows 7 32bit and it stopped hanging on exit. Good luck to you.
bern
PC, Intel Core2 Quad, ASUS, 4Gigs, Windows 7 32Bit, RME FF800, Soundcraft Spirit, studio site -
STUDIO

TSM192

Post by TSM192 » Sat May 14, 2011 6:43 am

I have found that if I pause for a few seconds after closing the project then close the program it Doesn't do it. (at least as often) Also had this issue in version 5 64bit. Worth a try? Cheers.

tomtomlog

Post by tomtomlog » Sun May 15, 2011 2:20 pm

Yes. It hangs not only on exiting cubase. it hangs when closing a project or loading a second project nearly everytime (80%).

Win 7x64 SP1, Cubase 6.02 - 32 bit

Johnny B Richman

Post by Johnny B Richman » Sun May 29, 2011 9:50 pm

TSM192 wrote:I have found that if I pause for a few seconds after closing the project then close the program it Doesn't do it. (at least as often)
I can confirm that this approach seems to work indeed.
Win7 x64 SP1, Intel Core i7-2600K 3,4 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3, RME Fireface 400, MIDISport 4x4, MSI GeForce GTX 1060 + 2x HP ZR2440w displays

Raphie

Post by Raphie » Mon May 30, 2011 10:49 am

i find that the MOTIF XS editor in an instrument slot crashes my cubase on exit. it always crashes while closing the song, unloading the instrument rack.
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

Sherz

Post by Sherz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:59 am

tomtomlog wrote:Yes. It hangs not only on exiting cubase. it hangs when closing a project or loading a second project nearly everytime (80%).
likewise. :?

Win 7x64 SP1, Cubase 6.02 - 64bit

I'd always assumed VSTbridge/Jamstix3 was the source of my woes but it seems there's probably more to this issue than meets the eye...
| Cubase 10.0.5 Pro (64bit) | Windows 10 | M-Audio Fastrack C600 | 3.4Ghz Intel i5 | 8Gb |
--- M Y M U S I C ---

Sherz

Post by Sherz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:05 am

By the way, I go through this exact process several times a day: :evil: It's actually much quicker to reboot than wait for Cubase to quit.
Jeff Hayat wrote:Ok, here's an example:

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/C5Hang.mp4

Note that Cubase was using only about 201MB when it quit. This project was audio only - several tracks of 48/24, there were no plugs, no VSTs. This vid was started right after the project GUI closed, when I realized that Cubase was not going to quit. As you can see, a force quit via the TM closes the shell GUI (I think that's what it's called, no?) but that there are threads still running. Also still running - even after a force quit of Cubase5.exe - is the vid engine, the elicenser, and the VSTBridge. Those can be force quit, but not the app. Note that it took over five min, for the app to quit (on it's own).

Cheers.
| Cubase 10.0.5 Pro (64bit) | Windows 10 | M-Audio Fastrack C600 | 3.4Ghz Intel i5 | 8Gb |
--- M Y M U S I C ---

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:27 pm

I used to get this alot but I can't recall having it hang on exit for quite a while.
Here is what I think. It has to do with releasing the ASIO driver. My habit pattern is that before I shut down Cubase, I STOP the project from playing and reset the cursor to the start of the project. I usually then save the project. Then close the project and exit Cubase from the File -> Quit menu. Doing it this way, I can't recall the last time it hung (knocking on wood). Bottom line is that if sound is being played when you quit, (like from delay or reverb) that seems to be when Cubase hangs. I could be all wrong about this...
BTW, I use Cubase 5.5.2 but I think this issue is the same in both versions.
Sincerely,
J.L.

OH BTW. Sometimes, I think it has hung but I have waited patiently for up to five seconds and then it closed properly.
HTH
Last edited by jaslan on Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

Johnny B Richman

Post by Johnny B Richman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:38 pm

OK, so to summarize it seems that these steps should be followed when closing Cubase:

1) stop the playback
2) close the project(s)
3) wait a few seconds
4) close Cubase via menu (File -> Quit)

Return to “Older Cubase versions”