VST Connect & VST Connect SE - Solution Thread

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
musicullum

Re: VST Connect & VST Connect SE - Solution Thread

Post by musicullum » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:44 am

loecata wrote:The same issue here: Sorry, connection failed: no reply. You may try again later.
I used vst project SE. I have 2 computers with 2 diferent internet conection (2 separate company provider) one of them cable one of them wirles rooter. I can't conect this 2 computers between.
I have a similar setup here. You most probably have to open UDP port 51113 to get a connection going in most cases (though it works without in my case). Thanks to Anders' help elsewhere in this thread we found a problem which prevents connecting to work as intented under certain circumstances. This will be fixed with the next version.
loecata wrote:OK i have a question. This new technology can connect only two computers ( the engineer and performer} or can connect more computer let say for a whole music band - four or mybee more musicians?
No, this is a one-to-one thing. Other use cases with more than one party are certainly possible, though.
musi

salfuman

Error with VST SE connect in MB pro 9.1

Post by salfuman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:48 am

Hi:
When I apply the plugin "VST CONNECT SE" on the input bus, a message of "error caused by the plugin, save the project and restart cubase" appears, and the plugin window goes black and there is no user interface.

Macbook Pro 9.1, 2,6 Ghz, 8 GB ram, (no retina)
Mountain Lion 10'.8.2
Cubase 7.0.1

In Mac Pro 5.1, Mountain Lion 10.8.2, 24 GB RAM, Cubase 7.0.1 the error don´t appears.
regards
[Url=http://www.fourhandsproject.com" target="_blank">

rissmiller

Post by rissmiller » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:44 pm

I am sorry but I do not see a solution in this thread. Have been trying and trying to no avail with the same experience as musicullum described on Dec 29th. Both my friend and we have opened ports 51111 - 51113, nothing... Has anyone in the U.S. made this work? So far the answer is NO. Can anyone help??

musicullum

Post by musicullum » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:07 am

rissmiller wrote:I am sorry but I do not see a solution in this thread. Have been trying and trying to no avail with the same experience as musicullum described on Dec 29th. Both my friend and we have opened ports 51111 - 51113, nothing... Has anyone in the U.S. made this work? So far the answer is NO. Can anyone help??
There are many successful connections (in the U.S. and elsewhere) but also some that fail. Thanks to the help of people in the forum, we will have better connectivity with the next version, but unfortunately it takes time to make it available.
We can try to make a test connection to further investigate your specific situation if you wish so, feel free to drop a PM.
musi

MRedZac

Post by MRedZac » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:15 am

For me, it works like charm... Even tested successfully with the performer running on a 3G mobile internet connection and still the recording quality was amazing !
DAW 1: Commodore C64, 64 k, Windows Basic, Cinch out, Datasette and 1541 Floppy
DAW 2: i9 7940X auf Asus WS X299 SAGE/10G, 32GB RAM, 2x 1TB PCIe M2 SSDs, Nuendo und Cubase Pro, Focusrite RedNet PCIe, Diverse Orchester Libraries von Zuspielservern via Vienna Ensemble Pro...

casemundy

Post by casemundy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:30 am

Still not having a very successful VST Connect session here yet. This time I tried it at the studio (previously I was connecting with my collaboration partner from home). When I was at home on my iMac I had a solid connection that stayed alive but there were ticks and pops. I tried various settings with the audio upstream rates. Would a much higher Remote Latency Compensation value fix this? Does a low "upstream" rate lead to poor quality recordings or does it only affect the quality of the performer's monitoring? I'm not sure why I was having these dropouts. I speedtested at 1.5 down / .9 up. I realize those are poor but they're still well within spec. My friend's connection was over 10 down / 7 up.

As for the studio, I have the ports forwarded as necessary. My internet is fast (22-25 down/7-12 up). I connected with the same friend (same high internet speeds) and this time the connection timed out after about 10 seconds. I would see the audio for his mic on the VST Connect plugin and hear his mic while we were connected. I would also see level for his instrument but not hear anything from it (guitar amp in another room of his). The only thing I can think would have caused the timeout was that neither of us was streaming video (we were handling video on our phones) although musicullum previously said you only need one or the other to maintain the connection.

I just realized the studio computer is running OSX 10.6.8 ... I think I read somewhere that 10.7 is the minimum for VST Connect SE ..
Peace,

Case

2011 iMac, 3.4 GHz Quad Core i7, 20 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM

2011 Macbook Air, 2.0 GHz Dual Core i7, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM

Cubase 8.0.2, Wavelab 8.5.1, Hypnotic Dance, Halion Symphonic Orchestra

Pro Tools 12 (Native)

Waves Gold v9, Waves Studio Classics v9, Waves Vocal Rider v9, Soundtoys Native Bundle, Soundtoys Devil Loc, Soundtoys Little Radiator, Soundtoys Little Microshift, Izotope RX3, Izotope Ozone 5, Autotune 7 Live, Autotune 7 64 bit, AVOX 4, Melodyne Editor, UAD (Neve 1073, bx_tuner, LA-2A, Shadow Hills Mastering Compressor, Lexicon 224, Studer A800, Fatso Jr, Little Labs IBP, Moog Filter, Transient Designer, Roland CE-1, 1176, Pultec, CS-1)

Reason 8, Propellerhead Pulsar Rack Extension, Viking Rack Extension, Repeat Looper Rack Extension, AudioMatic Retero Transformer

fizbin

Post by fizbin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:34 am

This technology is too difficult. Not user friendly at all.

Please fix that.

I watched the video and laughed.
Cubase 9.5 / Windows 10 / Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 / 20i18 + OctoPre variously

MRedZac

Post by MRedZac » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:07 am

fizbin wrote:This technology is too difficult. Not user friendly at all.

Please fix that.

:roll:

What shall be fixed there ? - In the most cases, what I´m reading here, the reasons why it is not working is that people have troubles with their firewalls... That´s not a Steinberg problem. The routing itself is just logic, there´s even the ready made template, which can be used for it, in the list... I don´t see, what Steinberg can do more than this...!? - Nobody said, that it will be easy to use, and this is what most professional software has in common... There´s a manual - read it ! ;)
DAW 2: i9 7940X auf Asus WS X299 SAGE/10G, 32GB RAM, 2x 1TB PCIe M2 SSDs, Nuendo und Cubase Pro, Focusrite RedNet PCIe, Diverse Orchester Libraries von Zuspielservern via Vienna Ensemble Pro...

musicullum

Post by musicullum » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:43 am

MRedZac wrote: Nobody said, that it will be easy to use, and this is what most professional software has in common... There´s a manual - read it ! ;)
while that is true, there will also be improvements with following versions reg. both connectivity and ease of use.
Also, when you have set up a regular recording session (studio, control room) you have almost made it, additional steps for remote recording are pretty few.
musi

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:44 pm

musicullum wrote:
rissmiller wrote:I am sorry but I do not see a solution in this thread. Have been trying and trying to no avail with the same experience as musicullum described on Dec 29th. Both my friend and we have opened ports 51111 - 51113, nothing... Has anyone in the U.S. made this work? So far the answer is NO. Can anyone help??
There are many successful connections (in the U.S. and elsewhere) but also some that fail. Thanks to the help of people in the forum, we will have better connectivity with the next version, but unfortunately it takes time to make it available.
We can try to make a test connection to further investigate your specific situation if you wish so, feel free to drop a PM.
Hi Musicullum, are you a developer acting on behalf of Steinberg? Forgive me if this was explained previously in this topic.

Thanks, you seem to be the most knowledgeable on this software.
Robin
Visit Northwood Mediaworks!
| Cubase Pro 8.5.20 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win10pro 64 | i7 16Gb | UR44 | Angry Wife |
| OSX 10.12.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15 | Loads of Other Stuff |

fizbin

Post by fizbin » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:10 am

MRedZac wrote:

Please fix that.

What shall be fixed there ? - In the most cases, what I´m reading here, the reasons why it is not working is that people have troubles with their firewalls... That´s not a Steinberg problem. The routing itself is just logic, there´s even the ready made template, which can be used for it, in the list... I don´t see, what Steinberg can do more than this...!? - Nobody said, that it will be easy to use, and this is what most professional software has in common... There´s a manual - read it ! ;)
I'm sure I could get it to work eventually, but I'm not going to put any of my clients through this. There are too many steps to set it up. I shouldn't need to create more than one track and enable something extra in that track to make it work. It can be done. Great concept, not there yet.
Cubase 9.5 / Windows 10 / Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 / 20i18 + OctoPre variously

MRedZac

Post by MRedZac » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:12 am

fizbin wrote:
MRedZac wrote:

Please fix that.

I'm sure I could get it to work eventually, but I'm not going to put any of my clients through this. There are too many steps to set it up. I shouldn't need to create more than one track and enable something extra in that track to make it work. It can be done. Great concept, not there yet.
Another one, who didn't read the manual... In opposite to your setup, the setup for the client is rather easy. He just needs to install the client software and login. All the rest is managed by you. He doesn't even need cubase at all... An USB microphone, a headset, the client software on his computer - that's it, ready for recording...

musicullum

Post by musicullum » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:19 am

fizbin wrote:
Well, that's the idea, while setup in the studio (Cubase) requires a level of understanding about basic studio recording, the client needs almost no skills whatsoever, even audio setup etc is remote controlled by the engineer. Start app, type key, perform, let the engineer do everything else, just like in the real studio. That's the beaty of it.
musi

musicullum

Post by musicullum » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:22 am

NorthWood MediaWorks wrote:]

Hi Musicullum, are you a developer acting on behalf of Steinberg? Forgive me if this was explained previously in this topic.
Yes, I'm a developer involved in this product.
musi

MRedZac

Post by MRedZac » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:33 am

musicullum wrote:
fizbin wrote:
Well, that's the idea, while setup in the studio (Cubase) requires a level of understanding about basic studio recording, the client needs almost no skills whatsoever, even audio setup etc is remote controlled by the engineer. Start app, type key, perform, let the engineer do everything else, just like in the real studio. That's the beaty of it.
And this is working like charm... Already made some nice recordings with customers, who even don't know what is a sequencer software... :)

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:45 pm

musicullum wrote:
NorthWood MediaWorks wrote:]

Yes, I'm a developer involved in this product.
That's great... good support. I pick up my Cubase 7 Monday evening, and this is one feature which has me most intrigued now... Thanks,
Robin
Visit Northwood Mediaworks!
| Cubase Pro 8.5.20 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win10pro 64 | i7 16Gb | UR44 | Angry Wife |
| OSX 10.12.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15 | Loads of Other Stuff |

trashdinner

Post by trashdinner » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:26 am

hello musicullum, I was able to use VST Connect with my friend, however the latency made it unusable.
It was choppy and skipped some beat and then suddenly stopped. We both have a regular high speed internet connection and we didn't use a webcam so I was wondering what could be the issue? does it take a super fast internet connection or do you think it's something else?

musicullum

Post by musicullum » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:12 am

trashdinner wrote:hello musicullum, I was able to use VST Connect with my friend, however the latency made it unusable.
It was choppy and skipped some beat and then suddenly stopped. We both have a regular high speed internet connection and we didn't use a webcam so I was wondering what could be the issue? does it take a super fast internet connection or do you think it's something else?
One problem that we found (and will of course be fixed) is that when you start at the very beginning (usually, bar 1.1.0) it stumbles and runs out of sync. For now, make sure to have your song started at 3.1.0 or so.
If that doesn't solve the problem, pls let me know.
No, it doesn't take a super fast connection, as long as at least 256 kBit upstream are guaranteed by your provider, it should work just fine. You may want to run one of the numerous spedd tests on the web to test it.
musi

pondwalden

Post by pondwalden » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:07 pm

Being the OP. I thought I'd let you know I did get it working once I opened the ports on my router.

I had tried to find the manual unsuccessfully under the help menu in Cubase not realizing that it was in a different place. (You have to click the question mark on the plugin itself)

Also for those experiencing latency, I was too till I realized that I had been accidentally bussing the performers' live signal back to them. Once I figured this out everything worked well.

This is a very cool feature and looking toward the future, I hope that automated replacing of the compressed files by the PCM files (something like source-connect does) is in the works. Full-res remote recording is really a holy grail for a lot of the projects I work on.

Kudos Steiny

jem

Post by jem » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:17 pm

I managed to have a connection working over internet but I'm experiencing latency with recording. I asked the performer to clap his hands in sync with the click to make a test and I can see an offset of approximately one second for each hit. (you can see it on the attached screenshot) This guy usually knows how to play tight :)

Cubase version is 7.01, OS X 10.8.2. Performer also on a mac.
I tweaked the latency compensation to 2,3 and 4 seconds and tried various upstream speeds for both performer and me. All lights in the SE performer are green, no buffer overrun, at least on the UI.

One funny thing, we're able to clap our hands in sync "live" thru the integrated video chat.

Is it a known issue ? Is there any fix ?

Thanks for the great work anyway, this is truly a killer feature.
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2013-01-07 à 21.53.15.png
Recording offset
(53.02 KiB) Not downloaded yet

funkstone

Post by funkstone » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:21 am

anyone got this working?

If it works this would be the reason for me to upgrade from 6, I have some collabs with people in other cities and this would be great if it works.

Most of the others I would use it with are on other DAWs (logic, sonar, pro tools) so I get them install SE and away we go?

I have cubase and sometimes I would be producer and the person at the other end performer, sometimes the other way around. Does this system allow for the possibility that the cubase user might be the performer and the person on the other end the producer?

If you got this working please let us know, how well it works and if there are any problems?

Does it really do as advertised?
cubase 8.5, Reason 6.5, Abelton 8.1, Komplete Ultimate 10
W7 ultimate i7 processor, 9 GB RAm, Macbook Pro i7 (2011), 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD + 1 TB SSD, UR28M, microkorg, Roland Gr 33, Godin Multiac, Godin Mullti-oud, too many effect pedals, and not enough time.

MRedZac

Post by MRedZac » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:51 am

funkstone wrote:anyone got this working?

If it works this would be the reason for me to upgrade from 6, I have some collabs with people in other cities and this would be great if it works.

Most of the others I would use it with are on other DAWs (logic, sonar, pro tools) so I get them install SE and away we go?

I have cubase and sometimes I would be producer and the person at the other end performer, sometimes the other way around. Does this system allow for the possibility that the cubase user might be the performer and the person on the other end the producer?

If you got this working please let us know, how well it works and if there are any problems?

Does it really do as advertised?
Another one, not reading the thread, but just posting... :roll:

musicullum

Post by musicullum » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:07 am

jem wrote:I managed to have a connection working over internet but I'm experiencing latency with recording. I asked the performer to clap his hands in sync with the click to make a test and I can see an offset of approximately one second for each hit. (you can see it on the attached screenshot) This guy usually knows how to play tight :)
Thanks for the great work anyway, this is truly a killer feature.
Most likely, you have inserted either one or even both VST Connect SE plugins in the wrong place: the VST Connect SE plugin must be in an Input channel (it probably is, as you are recording, but you must record directly from the Input Channel where the VSTC plugin is inserted), and the VST Connect SE CueMix plugin must be in a Group Channel, not in an Output or anywhere in the Control Room Mixer. This is because it utilizes Cubases' latency compensation so it requires this relationship in the routing chain. Click the question mark for the manual and try the project template that comes along with Cubase 7.
musi

musicullum

Post by musicullum » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:17 am

funkstone wrote: Most of the others I would use it with are on other DAWs (logic, sonar, pro tools) so I get them install SE and away we go?

VST Connect SE plugins work with Cubase only. But the Performer doesn't need a DAW at all, only the freely downloadable VST Connect SE Performer application available for both OSX and Windows.
musi

jem

Post by jem » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks for your answer,
musicullum wrote:Most likely, you have inserted either one or even both VST Connect SE plugins in the wrong place
I used the VST Connect SE cubase project template (great starting point for first time users btw) and double checked with the manual for the configuration. I didn't use the Control Room, doesn't seem ready for VST Connect yet.

I'm not at the studio right now but I will check again tonight. Could you have a look to the project template and see if I missed something ?

Return to “Older Cubase versions”