Poll: Case for single window layout

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software

Should Steinberg pursue a single window layout?

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes: 167

C.LYDE

Re: Poll: Case for single window layout

Post by C.LYDE » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:04 pm

AndrewW wrote:Single window Layout - my vote is - NO

However I would support a request - where if you switch to a different application (on the MAC at least) all your additional windows except the arrange window, they disappear. In other words, I'd like to see all my open windows (mixer, Video player, etc) even if my front application is not Cubase. That would be handy.
The MAC expose' and spaces is really a whole different kettle of fish - sometimes it drives me nuts on other programs as well... will be interesting to see how Steinberg tackle it...
Android 4.1.2 : MACOSX 10.6.8 : Win7 32Bit : Win8 64bit : Samsung & Intel Processors: Nvidia Graphics: SeaGate and Western Digital HDDs : Dell Touchscreen
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Those who can't... hang out in forums and talk about it.

currentsound

Post by currentsound » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:00 am

You should definitely be able to maximize certain windows to a 2nd or 3rd or 4th even 5th monitor! Drag your mixer window for ages to try to find the other monitor, then it won't even maximize to fit the screen of that monitor! Are you serious? What a waste of time! Open a plugin, if you have a small screen you could put that plugin on but it takes forever to drag it there it either won't fit the screen or will appear very small on the screen. Let it maximize!

What will maximizing do for the studio workflow
Place a monitor above a synth/midi controller in the studio, put your VSTis on that, have them fit and fill up on the screen in front of your synth all the time. If you used a touch screen, now you can control all the settings of your synth via the screen and your midi controller. Also it would be logical to let you put small transport buttons on other screens for this reason.

Let us break up the mixer window into channels of 8 and maximize them to other monitors. We could have several 7" or 9" inch monitors above every group of 8 faders on our control surfaces (which all come in groups of 8). Place the screens above every 8 faders and now we have the screen directly above our faders to monitor input levels, see what we are controlling etc...

We could put little screens on our control surfaces to display separate plugins. They could even be touch operated screens!

Or you can just all wait around for Avid to do this and f*ck you over.

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:07 am

What about a navigator pane on the left which shows all active windows, by clicking on it (maybee also hotkeys like numbers which corresponds to the listnumber) will take the window on top.

I myself try to minimise open windows as I find it terrible to minimise them all or go to the window menu option to find the right window. To much clicking involved.
Last edited by mroekalea on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Eddie Stealth Studio wrote:definitely NOT! i hate how these other daws force everything into one window. docking and tabs = clutter for me. just use 2 monitors (or 3 or 4). ed
;)
+ 1 !
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

C.LYDE

Post by C.LYDE » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:00 pm

Lots of comment and ideas.. great.

Looked at MOTU DPs latest offering - very nice take on dockable windows whilst still retaining ability to work without docking i.e. the old way

Best of both worlds - this is the way to go - everyone can use what they want.
Android 4.1.2 : MACOSX 10.6.8 : Win7 32Bit : Win8 64bit : Samsung & Intel Processors: Nvidia Graphics: SeaGate and Western Digital HDDs : Dell Touchscreen

C.LYDE

Post by C.LYDE » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:19 am

Having recently embraced the idea of taking studio to gigs...the idea of docking and improved single screen management is really starting to appeal. However I'm keen to seen whether touchscreen functionality gets a real shot in development hours.
My laptop has this and I'm loving the best of both worlds

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:36 pm

This thread makes less sense by the week! ;)

The problem is that people have different ideas about what single window layout means, what docking means and what love means.

I am able to explain the first two.

In Logic and Digital Performer you can either have the windows arranged as contiguous panes in one large window, or have all the windows be independent.

When they are independent they work just like now. No difference at all. In both Logic and DP you can pop out any of the windows, so you can have some inside the aggregate window, and some not.

This is what Cubase needs and I hope will get, when we see the redesign of the Project window.

Those who don't want that should be able to continue on as before.
Last edited by -steve- on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee, and I do not speak for them)
cubase pro, nuendo, and dorico pro; latest versions
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 Gb | UR44C | hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb

C.LYDE

Post by C.LYDE » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:54 pm

Still making sense, and more ideas are welcome ;)
Actually when I started the poll, it's primary purpose was to initiate some dialogue around this matter. Often one requires a series of back and forth before some sense and common interest start prevailing.

A single window layout referred to exactly that - a number of screen functions residing on a single screen, in particular the laptop/macbook user comes to mind (those not using additional screens obviously)

There are limitations to any configuration and the people dead set against the S.S. were quick to point these out.
Docking appears to be best of both...I have said so before. However having started using Sonar, I also became aware of how important work flow could be affected...and ultimately I suspect for Cubendo a redesign of the mixer and arrangement windows would be required.

Sonar introduced the most modern DAW GUI, imho... touch screen ability with docking for laptop (SS) or multiple screen desktop use.

Return to “Older Cubase versions”