MIDI notes too early

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
creartistic

Re: MIDI notes too early

Post by creartistic »

Guys, thanks for your ideas; as soon as I get the chance I'll try to do those tests.
And when I have plenty of time I'll go on a quest for the legendary knowledge base in which reportedly all of it is covered since ancient times. :lol:

Meanwhile, I've done another test which may be interesting for you as well:
I reverted my old system to a former stable version of my disc image, plugged in my old equipment (FF800, old syncrosoft key) and - looky here - notes are slightly too early, too!!

Which leads me to the conclusion, that A LOT OF PEOPLE have this effect without noticing it. I at least had it and didn't realize until now, because in my new system the lag turned out to be too big to ignore. Maybe I hadn't realized it if it had been 1/64 shorter.

Eventually I got the feeling there's more than one tweak necessary to reduce the effect to zero or nearly zero.
I'll continue try different things and post the outcome here (if there's any worth posting).

Thanks to all helpful souls around here!
Hardware: Asus Mainboard, i7 8700K, 64 GB RAM, M.2 SSD, UA Apollo Twin USB, Sennheizer HD 650, Focal Shape 40 | Software: Windows 10 Pro, Cubase 9.5 and 10.5, Vienna Ensemble Pro 6, Kontakt 5 | Samples: Orchestral Tools Inspire, Metropolis Ark, Berlin Series, Vienna Instruments, LASS, LADD, Spitfire Symphonic, Omnisphere, EWQL Gold/Gold XP, EWQL RA, HALion6 | Effects: 7th Heaven Reverb, Vienna Suite

creartistic

Post by creartistic »

Addendum:

I just tried the following:
- shut down antivirus (never had problems with any, so chances are it was not the perpetrator, but anyway)
- shut down firewall (my computer's behind a router anyway...)
- activated ASIO direct monitoring
- activated external clock signal (don't know what it does, but I had it activated on my old system)
- used a VST as MIDI metronome
- deactivated the constrain latency thingamabob

and left all other options unchanged at:
- low latency 64 samples = 2,6 ms input and 2,8 ms output on my system
- activated "use system timestamp for Windows MIDI"
- activated "use system timestamp for DirectMusic"
- deactivated all MIDI devices except for the masterkeyboard
- shut down LAN

overall, my "negative latency" is still there, but it's something I can live with, and maybe you can too, especially if you do the following: Don't go with the metronome!
If you can, record a rhythm pattern or something like that and play along that one instead of the metronome. Maybe it's just my imagination, but I got the feeling notes are tighter to where they belong when I go with a playback track than with the "live" metronome.

This is still no solution, but for me it's a workaround that I can live with if must be.
Cheers!
Hardware: Asus Mainboard, i7 8700K, 64 GB RAM, M.2 SSD, UA Apollo Twin USB, Sennheizer HD 650, Focal Shape 40 | Software: Windows 10 Pro, Cubase 9.5 and 10.5, Vienna Ensemble Pro 6, Kontakt 5 | Samples: Orchestral Tools Inspire, Metropolis Ark, Berlin Series, Vienna Instruments, LASS, LADD, Spitfire Symphonic, Omnisphere, EWQL Gold/Gold XP, EWQL RA, HALion6 | Effects: 7th Heaven Reverb, Vienna Suite

Post by Guest »

:roll:

LeVzi

Post by LeVzi »

Proof of the troll, nice move Steiny.

I will definately try some of what you suggested up there. I am waiting on word from tech, they have my drivers for my MIDI controller they might find something there.

Failing that, can anyone name some MIDI controllers they have that definately do not have this issue ?
AMD FX 8350 4Ghz , 16Gb DDR3 RAM, 1x1TB SSD, 1x1TB HDD 1x500gb HDD. Sapphire RX 560 4Gb Graphics, Audient ID 14 USB Interface, Alesis Q49 Keyboard. Cubase 10 Pro

Ernest T. Bass

Post by Ernest T. Bass »

A guy named mashedmitten helped me solve this issue on the old forum. Guest is right, the answer is in the Knowledge Base. I have it bookmarked for emergencies. 8-)
It's me, it's me, it's Ernest T.

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis »

Ernest T. Bass wrote:A guy named mashedmitten helped me solve this issue on the old forum. Guest is right, the answer is in the Knowledge Base. I have it bookmarked for emergencies. 8-)
Welcome to the forum, Ernest T. Bass!

Some folks are having a heck of a time with the MIDI timing. As you'll see when you look around a bit, people have been looking around but haven't found the fix :cry: Which part of the Knowledge Base is it in?

Thanks! :D
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

Toronja

Post by Toronja »

a is this just for PC or does it work with mac also?
Music Composer / www.pabloborghi.com

Ernest T. Bass

Post by Ernest T. Bass »

Toronja wrote:a is this just for PC or does it work with mac also?
PC only according to the article. 8-)

mr.roos

Post by mr.roos »

Hm. Is 'guest' indeed 'mashed mitten' ? Sometimes a mask can make an otherwise nice person become something his friends would not recognize. Well, if this is Nate, then think back to when you had 10 posts and not a clue please.
Cubase 10.5 Pro from SX3, WaveLab Pro 10, Groove Agent 5, iC Pro remote app, Win10 64-bit (2004 update installed - latest OS build always), Intel i7 8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2GHz, 32G DDR4 3200, Gigabyte Z390 Designare MB, Radeon RX570 Graphics card, Mackie 1640i (FireWire via TI chipset PCI-E card), 1K iRig Pads, StudioLogic Numa Compact 2X 88-Key, and Roland FP-30.

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan »

Ernest T. Bass wrote:
Toronja wrote:a is this just for PC or does it work with mac also?
PC only according to the article. 8-)
Hi Ernest,
You look familiar. ;)
J.L.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

mr.roos

Post by mr.roos »

Oh, sorry to be so dull, it is Nate. Cool, I wondered where you went. First of, you have been of much help to me in the past, so no dis here. I remember you hit 4000 posts and then you disappeared. Why? And why not visit as Nate?

Anyway, I did do that thang where the ignoreportfilter file is dropped into the main Steinberg folder, and I did open my device setup window and made sure only one port was activated for 'in' and one for 'out'. I did not use the Windows midi but the direct music midi and the emulated version of that and also checked the box for the direct music timestamp. My midi input is via an M-Audio Uno 1X1 because I only have one keyboard, BTW.

When I open my project window, and choose a synth or drum device, I select the same emulated midi port there, as well, on the VST channel. And I think this is all correct. And the timing sounds correct as I tap/play along to the internal click and then play it back. It looks right on the bar/beat window, as well.

So is this what you are suggesting or is there something else?

If you don't mind, can you explain to me why I need to use the 'emulated' version of the midi signal rather than the regular version? Just curious.
Cubase 10.5 Pro from SX3, WaveLab Pro 10, Groove Agent 5, iC Pro remote app, Win10 64-bit (2004 update installed - latest OS build always), Intel i7 8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2GHz, 32G DDR4 3200, Gigabyte Z390 Designare MB, Radeon RX570 Graphics card, Mackie 1640i (FireWire via TI chipset PCI-E card), 1K iRig Pads, StudioLogic Numa Compact 2X 88-Key, and Roland FP-30.

careyletendre

Post by careyletendre »

mr.roos wrote:Hm. Is 'guest' indeed 'mashed mitten' ? Sometimes a mask can make an otherwise nice person become something his friends would not recognize. Well, if this is Nate, then think back to when you had 10 posts and not a clue please.
'Guest' was Yer Mom III. I think he's been removed from the forum.

Cheers,

Carey

mr.roos

Post by mr.roos »

Hm. Well then, this is a mystery of a sort. See this link: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=657126

Here it was Yer Mom III who sent somebody to it in one of the links in this very post, to show off their recorded music. ...And this is Nate's music, formerly mashedmitten. ?? So at this point, I see Yer Mom III basically claiming to be mashedmitten, or certainly claiming Nate's music as his own.

Eh, not Sherlock Holmes but something is afoot here. I wonder if - for whatever reasons I do not know - Nate was removed from the forum as 'mashed mitten' and came back as 'Yer Mom III'? You have to admit it is weird to see anybody here linking another person's sound cloud music as their own.

I do get it now that when you are removed from the forum, your moniker is replaced with the 'guest' title. I did not understand this. Anyway, I'll stick to my suspicions that guest/Yer Mom III/mashed mitten are one and the same. Whatever else will be said, the person who's name is Nate was always helpful to me in regards to Cubase and I appreciate that.

But OK, perhaps too much drama and not enough Cubase, at any rate.

Shinta215

Post by Shinta215 »

mr.roos wrote:I'll stick to my suspicions that guest/Yer Mom III/mashed mitten are one and the same
I saw (on the old cubase.net forum) that mashed mitten was referred to as Nate.

I was privy to the Music Lounge thread (which I can no longer find) that gave birth to Yer Mom III. They called him Nate.

Your suspicions are pretty much confirmed.

Also:
https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtop ... 91&t=22781 (The last post was by Yer Mom III)

And, concerning the topic of this thread:
I found this article while kicking around the old cubase.net forum.
http://www.cubase.net/phpbb2/viewtopic. ... 008ef5af7e
The link in the thread says that not just system timestamp or emulated ports will help, but one combination of both.
Hope this is of help to someone.

Post by Guest »

Ernest T. Bass wrote:A guy named mashedmitten helped me solve this issue on the old forum. Guest is right, the answer is in the Knowledge Base. I have it bookmarked for emergencies. 8-)

Ernest T. Bass

Post by Ernest T. Bass »

mr.roos wrote:Anyway, I did do that thang where the ignoreportfilter file is dropped into the main Steinberg folder,
A closer read through the instructions might be a good idea. 8-)

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Post by Strophoid »

niles wrote:
I know, he's making it too easy :lol:
Software: Steinberg Cubase Pro 8 64-bit.
Hardware: Intel i5 6600, 16Gb DDR3, Win7 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.

LeVzi

Post by LeVzi »

Ernest T. Bass wrote:
mr.roos wrote:Anyway, I did do that thang where the ignoreportfilter file is dropped into the main Steinberg folder,
A closer read through the instructions might be a good idea. 8-)

You've been removed from this forum twice, so what now ? You want your hat-trick ? Stop lying and trolling about the non existent fix.

I haven't had time to test the stuff above, but I will do later on.
AMD FX 8350 4Ghz , 16Gb DDR3 RAM, 1x1TB SSD, 1x1TB HDD 1x500gb HDD. Sapphire RX 560 4Gb Graphics, Audient ID 14 USB Interface, Alesis Q49 Keyboard. Cubase 10 Pro

mr.roos

Post by mr.roos »

ErnieT - ? Reading the instructions is what I did, actually. :lol: If you take exception to where I dropped the 'ignoreportfilter', then you might want to think about what I wrote. Where the instructions said to "go one folder up and drop the ignoreportfilter", that is the Steinberg folder.

So the instructions that were posted could have been written like this:

1) Open Steinberg folder
2) Find midi port enabler folder
3) Copy file 'ignoreportfilter'
4) Go back to Steinberg folder (or 'up', whatever)
5) Paste 'ignoreportfilter' in the Steinberg folder

Eh, but maybe you were saying that the rest of what I did was incorrect? I would answer that with the fact that doing what I did, when I opened Device Setup all the midiports were displayed - something that didn't happen before. And here I was able to turn off all ports except the direct sound emulated port, the port that sync'd my keyboard to the beat. Well, at least to my ear and eyes.

Ernest T. Bass

Post by Ernest T. Bass »

LeVzi wrote:You've been removed from this forum twice
No I haven't. I removed myself 4 times. ;)

Ernest T. Bass

Post by Ernest T. Bass »

mr.roos wrote:ErnieT - ? Reading the instructions is what I did, actually. :lol: If you take exception to where I dropped the 'ignoreportfilter', then you might want to think about what I wrote. Where the instructions said to "go one folder up and drop the ignoreportfilter", that is the Steinberg folder.

So the instructions that were posted could have been written like this:

1) Open Steinberg folder
2) Find midi port enabler folder
3) Copy file 'ignoreportfilter'
4) Go back to Steinberg folder (or 'up', whatever)
5) Paste 'ignoreportfilter' in the Steinberg folder

Eh, but maybe you were saying that the rest of what I did was incorrect? I would answer that with the fact that doing what I did, when I opened Device Setup all the midiports were displayed - something that didn't happen before. And here I was able to turn off all ports except the direct sound emulated port, the port that sync'd my keyboard to the beat. Well, at least to my ear and eyes.
Those are pre-SX3 instructions, it changed after that like it says in the instructions and it's a different file you have to deal with. You aren't supposed to copy and paste, but move it up one directory.

Told you it was a simple fix how many times? ;)

careyletendre

Post by careyletendre »

Ernest T. Bass wrote:
LeVzi wrote:You've been removed from this forum twice
No I haven't. I removed myself 4 times. ;)
Remember that the moderator control panel allows moderators and site admins to se the IP of every post. This allows them to track people who try and hide their identity by creating new accounts.

:D

Carey

Ernest T. Bass

Post by Ernest T. Bass »

Yeah, like I'm trying to hide. :roll:

careyletendre

Post by careyletendre »

Ernest T. Bass wrote:Yeah, like I'm trying to hide. :roll:
Did you remove the Yer Mom III profile or was it removed for you?

Return to “Older Cubase versions”