Feature Request: Track renaming key command

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
aptmusic9

Feature Request: Track renaming key command

Post by aptmusic9 »

When a particular track is selected, there is no key command that allows you to change the name of the track. You have to double click the name of the track in order to edit the name.

Once you've double clicked, you can press tab to edit the name of the next track, which is a nice feature, but it's unfortunate that a mouse is required to get to that point.

You could add this feature to the key commands list as "Edit name of selected track"

It seems like all I ever post about is lack of key commands....Please forgive me. :lol: I really would like to see Cubase become a mouseless app though.. :D
Core i7 3930k
ASUS P9X79 PRO
Corsair XMS3 64GB (8x8GB)
Nvidia GT 640
RME HDSPe AIO
Focal Solo 6
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Cubase 10
User of Cubase since Cubase 5.0
http://www.andrewpooletodd.com

lanter

Re: Feature Request: Track renaming key command

Post by lanter »

You can use the project logical editor to do that, I think...
Jan

Cubase 10 Pro, WaveLab 10 Pro
PC Win 10 Pro; AsRock Z270 Pro4; Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz; 16GByte; PNY Quadro NVS 290
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; RME ADI-4 DD; MOTU MIDI Express 128; 12 UAD-2 cores

CinStudios

Post by CinStudios »

While were on the subject of renaming (not to sidebar) it would be great if, when you add a marker, you could then name it without having to click on it, go up to the info line, click the name field, and THEN type the name.

Or an option to turn this on or off. Maybe different key commands to do one or the other.

Jeff Hayat

Post by Jeff Hayat »

aptmusic9 wrote:Feature Request: Track renaming key command
Been asking for this since SX3.
lanter wrote:You can use the project logical editor to do that, I think...
Jan, if you know how, please enlighten us. I will be your best friend!!!! :D

CinStudios

Post by CinStudios »

You can create a logical editor preset to rename a track to a specific thing. As far as opening the rename field for editing with a key command... not sure if that's possible that way.

I did make a macro (loaded with L.E. presets and "move to next track") to rename all lanes sequentially for my drum tracks. I always do the snare first, then kick, hat, cym, and toms. I can highlight the track (i use lanes for this) and press a key and it renames the takes/lanes "Snare - Kick - HH - Cym - Toms" In that order. To get a different order I'd just make a different macro.

So... if you're renaming things to the same thing all the time you could make Logical Editor presets to rename them quickly and assign those to key commands.

lanter

Post by lanter »

Jeff Hayat wrote:Jan, if you know how, please enlighten us. I will be your best friend!!!! :D
Hey Jeff, we're already best friends, ar we not?
Just guessing here, but I'll check it out later this week for you, no time now...
Jan

Cubase 10 Pro, WaveLab 10 Pro
PC Win 10 Pro; AsRock Z270 Pro4; Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz; 16GByte; PNY Quadro NVS 290
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; RME ADI-4 DD; MOTU MIDI Express 128; 12 UAD-2 cores

TwinOak

Post by TwinOak »

CinStudios wrote:While were on the subject of renaming (not to sidebar) it would be great if, when you add a marker, you could then name it without having to click on it, go up to the info line, click the name field, and THEN type the name.

Or an option to turn this on or off. Maybe different key commands to do one or the other.
Easy, select the marker either with the mouse or arrow keys, hit tab and you're in the description field, hit tab again and you can alter the ID and so on.

/A
ASUS Z8NA-D6, 2 x Xeon 5620, Kingston 16GB, RME Fireface 800, Win 7 x64/Surface Book 2 - Cubase 10.0.60

CinStudios

Post by CinStudios »

TwinOak wrote:
CinStudios wrote:While were on the subject of renaming (not to sidebar) it would be great if, when you add a marker, you could then name it without having to click on it, go up to the info line, click the name field, and THEN type the name.

Easy, select the marker either with the mouse or arrow keys, hit tab and you're in the description field, hit tab again and you can alter the ID and so on.

/A
Not sure what version you're using but that doesn't work in Cubase 6.5 with either markers or cycle markers.

greggybud

Post by greggybud »

Great request!

The logical editor will not be of use for the purpose of renaming tracks per the OP suggestion is that correct?

I don't believe the OP meant renaming the same thing all the time.
The latest Cubase version, Wavelab 10, Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, 64 gig all SSD drives (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti, 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs, UAD-2, SoundToys, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

CinStudios

Post by CinStudios »

greggybud wrote:Great request!

The logical editor will not be of use for the purpose of renaming tracks per the OP suggestion is that correct?

I don't believe the OP meant renaming the same thing all the time.
Of course. I just meant if you have a handful of things you name tracks regularly you could create a handful of renaming shortcuts (Kick, Snare, gutar1, etc.)

TwinOak

Post by TwinOak »

CinStudios wrote:
TwinOak wrote:

/A
Not sure what version you're using but that doesn't work in Cubase 6.5 with either markers or cycle markers.
That's strange, I'm currently running 6.0.6, but I've been using this method for a long time. Are you on Mac or PC?
I should add that I can access the info line in general with this method, it's not limited to markers.
ASUS Z8NA-D6, 2 x Xeon 5620, Kingston 16GB, RME Fireface 800, Win 7 x64/Surface Book 2 - Cubase 10.0.60

CinStudios

Post by CinStudios »

I'm on a PC. Tried it several times with new and old projects. Tab key does not go to the name field when I select a marker.

Are you doing it in the marker list view or directly in the track list?

aptmusic9

Post by aptmusic9 »

Yea, I want to name them individually and can think of situations where this would be useful. The instrument is 'selected' as soon as I create it, so I figure I might as well have a key command to name it. It's a logical procedure, to create an instrument with a hotkey and then immediately want to name it (with a hotkey).
Core i7 3930k
ASUS P9X79 PRO
Nvidia GT 640
RME HDSPe AIO
Focal Solo 6
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Cubase 10

CinStudios

Post by CinStudios »

aptmusic9 wrote:Yea, I want to name them individually and can think of situations where this would be useful. The instrument is 'selected' as soon as I create it, so I figure I might as well have a key command to name it. It's a logical procedure, to create an instrument with a hotkey and then immediately want to name it (with a hotkey).
Do you need a step by step to create the LE preset? PM me and ill show you how if you need :)

TwinOak

Post by TwinOak »

CinStudios wrote:I'm on a PC. Tried it several times with new and old projects. Tab key does not go to the name field when I select a marker.

I'm selecting the markers directly in the marker track.
I found out now that there are different amounts of tabs needed to get the cursor to the info line. If the "Color menu" item is visible in the toolbar you need to tab two times, if the "Locators" item is visible then two more and if the marker track itself is selected then there's one additional tab before the cursor gets to the right place.

But after I've entered the first description in the info line I can hit enter, left (or rigth) cursor, tab and then I get directly into the description field of the next or previous marker.

/A

aptmusic9

Post by aptmusic9 »

CinStudios wrote:
aptmusic9 wrote:Yea, I want to name them individually and can think of situations where this would be useful. The instrument is 'selected' as soon as I create it, so I figure I might as well have a key command to name it. It's a logical procedure, to create an instrument with a hotkey and then immediately want to name it (with a hotkey).
Do you need a step by step to create the LE preset? PM me and ill show you how if you need :)
That would be nice to have the LE preset, but that only names all the tracks to what you specify right? I have many situations where I give random names that I don't reuse a lot, like for sound design or synths that have weird names, so thats why i like to name them individually.
Core i7 3930k
ASUS P9X79 PRO
Nvidia GT 640
RME HDSPe AIO
Focal Solo 6
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Cubase 10

CinStudios

Post by CinStudios »

TwinOak wrote:
CinStudios wrote:I'm on a PC. Tried it several times with new and old projects. Tab key does not go to the name field when I select a marker.

I'm selecting the markers directly in the marker track.
I found out now that there are different amounts of tabs needed to get the cursor to the info line. If the "Color menu" item is visible in the toolbar you need to tab two times, if the "Locators" item is visible then two more and if the marker track itself is selected then there's one additional tab before the cursor gets to the right place.

But after I've entered the first description in the info line I can hit enter, left (or rigth) cursor, tab and then I get directly into the description field of the next or previous marker.

/A
Ah!!! I see!

Yes, the stuff in the toolbar has an effect on how many times you have to hit TAB to get to the name field. I can only get it down to 2 TAB hits to get there after selecting a marker with the mouse. HOWEVER, after you name and hit ENTER, you can move to the next/previous one and hit TAB once and it goes right to the name field.

Curious...

Thanks for the tip! This will save a few precious moments in my life that I can dedicate again to my kids LOL

Yutaka

Post by Yutaka »

I thought I was the only one who was hoping for this. This command was there in Cubase VST, and I don't know why they had to remove it. :(

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf »

yeah, it's still room to have that and other renaming commands in Cubase 7? ;) That would bring Cubase a lot closer to "mouse free" so:

+1
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

TwinOak

Post by TwinOak »

CinStudios wrote: Thanks for the tip! This will save a few precious moments in my life that I can dedicate again to my kids LOL
Great!

Back OT, YES I'd like a track rename key command!

aptmusic9

Post by aptmusic9 »

I'd like to show this image to the steinberg developers (no, don't worry, it's not inappropriate)

Attachments
bad mouse.jpg
(43.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Core i7 3930k
ASUS P9X79 PRO
Nvidia GT 640
RME HDSPe AIO
Focal Solo 6
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Cubase 10

Keres

Post by Keres »

And if, for whatever reason, you prefer to use the mouse and hardly use key commands at all?
C6.0.7/ CC121/ XP 32 SP2/ 2xDelta 1010

aptmusic9

Post by aptmusic9 »

Keres wrote:And if, for whatever reason, you prefer to use the mouse and hardly use key commands at all?
Well there is no harm of putting the key command in. It's a lack of functionality to not have the key command available. Anything you can do with the mouse we should be able to do with keys and control surfaces. Mouse is still there for people who prefer it.
Core i7 3930k
ASUS P9X79 PRO
Nvidia GT 640
RME HDSPe AIO
Focal Solo 6
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Cubase 10

dbwalter

Post by dbwalter »

Ah!!! I see!

Yes, the stuff in the toolbar has an effect on how many times you have to hit TAB to get to the name field. I can only get it down to 2 TAB hits to get there after selecting a marker with the mouse. HOWEVER, after you name and hit ENTER, you can move to the next/previous one and hit TAB once and it goes right to the name field.

Curious...

Thanks for the tip! This will save a few precious moments in my life that I can dedicate again to my kids LOL
Hi CinStudios

Did you know that if you have the Marker List open then every time you enter a marker, the description field for the new marker is selected and ready for you to enter a name by default, which means you don't need to do anything else other than type your name and hit enter. I discovered this by accident but it's very useful.

Your kids will be pleased! :lol:

David
CB 10.5 on Mac OS X 10.14.6
Trashcan 3GHz 8-Core
64GB RAM

CinStudios

Post by CinStudios »

dbwalter wrote:
Ah!!! I see!

Curious...

Hi CinStudios

Did you know that if you have the Marker List open then every time you enter a marker, the description field for the new marker is selected and ready for you to enter a name by default, which means you don't need to do anything else other than type your name and hit enter. I discovered this by accident but it's very useful.

Your kids will be pleased! :lol:

David
HA!!!! Genius!

My wife, kids, dog and I thank you!! LOL

This is great! I've been wanting this feature for some time now and here it is all along.

Cubase forum PREVAILS!!!

*edit*
I find it humorous that the "tech" staff told me this wasn't possible...
Last edited by CinStudios on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Older Cubase versions”