Why do i haave to constantly resize the arrangement window?

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Conman

Re: Why do i haave to constantly resize the arrangement window?

Post by Conman »

Any time I get this when I install a new or fresh Cubase I do the age old solution and resize the windows manually and it's bye bye, gone.
Must be something deep in the coding I guess. I also surmise that when they try and hunt it down they fall asleep after a day or so, get fed up and do something more interesting. :mrgreen:
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

TrevorG

Post by TrevorG »

JMCecil wrote:
TrevorG wrote:Yes but will I be alive when they release Cubase 9?! ;)
Not if your enemies have anything to say about it! I would suggest staying away from Sharks with Lasers ... and hope all minions continue to be incompetent boobs. :mrgreen:

EDIT: By the way, I love your avatar.
We're in the entertainment business. How the hell do you avoid sharks and lasers? Not to mention the "Care in the Community" crowd. :roll:
Intel Core I7 950@ 2.67GHz, 3GB Ultra Fast DDR3 1333MHz RAM, Asus P6T, Konnekt 24D, Cubase 6.5.3, Cubase 5.5.4, Win XP(32bit), Midex 8, Zebra 2, Reaktor, Motu Ethno Instrument 2, Halion Orchestra, Stylus RMX, BFD 2, Groove Agent, Synthmaster, EZDrummer, Voxengo, Quantum FX, Roland SBD-6, Evolution UC-33, Korg M1, Zebra, Guru, Geist CM, Rodes and Neumann, T.C Electronic M1, T.C. Finalizer, Ivory Series Compressor, Roland Super JV1080, SPL Vitalizer, Hagstrom Viking Baritone semi-acoustic,Spector XL5(U.S.), Washburn fretless acoustic 5, Overwater fretless, Parker Fly. Dynaudio BM6s. Saphire 4550 Dual head graphic card, 2X ViewSonic Monitors

TrevorG

Post by TrevorG »

TrevorG wrote:
JMCecil wrote:
TrevorG wrote:Yes but will I be alive when they release Cubase 9?! ;)
Not if your enemies have anything to say about it! I would suggest staying away from Sharks with Lasers ... and hope all minions continue to be incompetent boobs. :mrgreen:

EDIT: By the way, I love your avatar.
We're in the entertainment business. How the hell do you avoid sharks and lasers? Not to mention the "Care in the Community" crowd. :roll:

EDIT; It is a fun little avatar, isn't it!?
Intel Core I7 950@ 2.67GHz, 3GB Ultra Fast DDR3 1333MHz RAM, Asus P6T, Konnekt 24D, Cubase 6.5.3, Cubase 5.5.4, Win XP(32bit), Midex 8, Zebra 2, Reaktor, Motu Ethno Instrument 2, Halion Orchestra, Stylus RMX, BFD 2, Groove Agent, Synthmaster, EZDrummer, Voxengo, Quantum FX, Roland SBD-6, Evolution UC-33, Korg M1, Zebra, Guru, Geist CM, Rodes and Neumann, T.C Electronic M1, T.C. Finalizer, Ivory Series Compressor, Roland Super JV1080, SPL Vitalizer, Hagstrom Viking Baritone semi-acoustic,Spector XL5(U.S.), Washburn fretless acoustic 5, Overwater fretless, Parker Fly. Dynaudio BM6s. Saphire 4550 Dual head graphic card, 2X ViewSonic Monitors

Stealth

Post by Stealth »

Don't worry the new window system is coming... just look at the latest versions of Steinberg's other apps Wavelab, Halion, and Sequel ALL have dockable windows! Personally I'm pretty satisfied with the current floating windows but there are a few windows I would like having the option to dock.
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), 16GB RAM, Steinberg UR22, OSX Mojave 10.14.3, Cubase 9.0.4

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil »

I hope they go closer to Halion 4 than wavelab. Wavelab is Docking gone wrong, it's the perfect example of taking a great paradigm and totally *knuf* it up. Pretty much how Cubase *knuf* up old windowing. H4 gets a lot of it right.

I'm really concerned that when they finally do it, they will really kill multiple monitor support. I use 3 monitors that are all different sizes. 32" , 24" and a 40" TV. I used to have 3 x 24". And I've had various incarnations of multiple monitors of multiple sizes over the years. I really hate the conversion to "laptop" users in most UIs.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

bluelight

Post by bluelight »

Ok i have tried the method you described and it works with the exception of the "midideviceeditor" which is not possible for me to force to load on top.

ganglia

Post by ganglia »

In fact if you look for some old threads there will be people asking for "AOT" for windows that do not currently allow it such as the Pool Window, so as far as I am concerned I'd rather have that (AOT for Audio Pool) than to have everything docked.

On the other hand, as far as docking goes I personally would like to only be able to dock the transport bar so that it becomes a part of of the application rather than a floating window, which can be undocked at will.

ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

Funny, no one seems to mention dockable windows. This seems the obvious way to go. I have dual monitors and i am constantly tweaking ans shoving things around as scroll bars appear and disappear in the track window. I also find the Always on Top thing is counterintuitive uncheck it and it stays on top.

Dockable windows please Santa

or maybe 72 inch monitors!
Cubase 9, 64 bit Intel 8700k, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM PC, Win10, Focusrite Liquid 56 Running in Surround 5.1 British Rail sandwich circa 1967, a singing fish and an inert K9.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Zero_Zero

ganglia

Post by ganglia »

Hi Zero

It's maybe one of those issues when presented with a reasonable amount of angst, it would seem the entire userbase is universally peeved at the workings of a particular aspect of the application, when this may not be the case at all.

As far as I'm concerned, the last thing I want is a fully docked interface.

I've tried StudioOne and to me, while it has some great aspects such as how it deals with tracks by default; docked internal windows is not a panacea I seek in order to get around the program.

Cubase being such a complex beast has various ways and means at the disposal of the user and in particular this area of the application over the years has in one way or another served as something of a whipping post for many a user but as time goes on it seems the allure generally wares off and then it's back off to work we go.

funkstone

Post by funkstone »

Okay but are there not windows that you can not set to always on top, opening the pool for example or a MIDI editor always causes me a resize of the main window cause you cant set them to AOT.

I have a dual monitor set up and I keep the arrangement window maxed in the main monitor and then I have the transport, plugs, and mixer set to AOT in the second monitor. At times it would be very useful to have the pool sitting open in that second monitor but I have never figured out how to get the pool over there - I think because you cant' set AOT.

Anyone have different experience in this regard?
cubase 10.5, Reason 11, Abelton 10, Komplete Ultimate 10 PC with i9 processor and 32gb RAm, 2015 Macbook Pro i7 , 16GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, UR28M, CC121,many guitars, ouds, and plucked strings too many effect pedals, and not enough time.

Post by Guest »

The Pool is just like Mediabay, can't be set to AOT thus can't be dragged to the second screen. A workaround is to extend the Cubase desktop across the other screen.

Steiny's said that they're going through all the legacy code in the program so hopefully things will change soon.

C.LYDE

Post by C.LYDE »

Arjan P wrote:
Stealth wrote:I have C6 set up where I never have to resize any windows. Every window (mediabay, pool, sample editor, etc...) always opens up exactly in the same place they were before just like if they were docked!
Same here. I spend maybe 0.25% of mouse clicks on window management - usually when opening an older project..

Luck, Arjan
Lets examine this please...
1) How many screens are you using?
2) How large are the screens you are using
3) How often do you track counts vary .i.e. 8 to 32? group tracks? Instruments?
Android 4.1.2 : MACOSX 10.6.8 : Win7 32Bit : Win8 64bit : Samsung & Intel Processors: Nvidia Graphics: SeaGate and Western Digital HDDs : Dell Touchscreen
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Those who can't... hang out in forums and talk about it.

Arjan P

Post by Arjan P »

C.LYDE wrote:Lets examine this please...
1) I'm using two screens
2) One is 24" of 1920 x 1080, the other 19" of 1280 x 1024
3) Track counts here vary between 3 and say, 50 or so, and include Instrument tracks, MIDI and audio.
Since I mix out of the box, I must say I hardly ever use the Cubase mixer, so that makes a difference ofcourse. My interface, controller and mixer (Tascam DM3200) is 32 channels in and out to/from PC, and most grouping takes place there, as does almost all effects processing.

Luck, Arjan
--- "If anyone owes it all to Bach, it's God" - Emil Cioran ---
SOFT: (All 64 bit) | WaveLab 10.0.30 | Cubase 10.0.60 | HALion 6.0 | Win10 Pro - SoundCloud
HARD: i7-950 | Asus P6TD | 30GB | Tascam DM-3200 | DigiMax48 | Midisport 8x8 - SoundByte Studio

C.LYDE

Post by C.LYDE »

popmann wrote:
I now wonder if this could also be a Mac/PC thang?

Of course it is. On a Mac, it behave like Mac apps all do--each window/plug/whatever free floats on the screen (or wherever on multiple screens) you want.

Where on Windows...even my new Win7x64 box, the windowing behaves like some hack Windows 3.1 app...or Excel. :lol: It's really annoying. There are of course work arounds...but, at the end of the day, I wish Steiny would write the app's GUI to work on Windows like it does on the Mac. But, whatcha gonna do?
Irony - I wish the MAC windows would not work in a 'floating' manner - in fact the window manager ability of windows works wonderful. In previous versions one could quickly arrange new windows by tiling and then saving that arrangement as a workspace if so desired.
Now in both MAC and W7, one is constantly trying to fit windows for optimal space and then save workspace, as heaven forbid that you require that exact arrangement 10 minutes later... :cry:

[For the record - I think the MAC method of working with multiple windows is ludicrous... hence the inability to penetrate the office environment in any serious way, but that's just my opinion, and quite possibly detracting from the original discussion]
Android 4.1.2 : MACOSX 10.6.8 : Win7 32Bit : Win8 64bit : Samsung & Intel Processors: Nvidia Graphics: SeaGate and Western Digital HDDs : Dell Touchscreen

C.LYDE

Post by C.LYDE »

Arjan P wrote: Since I mix out of the box, I must say I hardly ever use the Cubase mixer, so that makes a difference ofcourse.
Luck, Arjan
:o :o ... thought so

Stealth

Post by Stealth »

C.LYDE wrote:
Arjan P wrote:
Stealth wrote:I have C6 set up where I never have to resize any windows. Every window (mediabay, pool, sample editor, etc...) always opens up exactly in the same place they were before just like if they were docked!
Same here. I spend maybe 0.25% of mouse clicks on window management - usually when opening an older project..

Luck, Arjan
Lets examine this please...
1) One
2) 27" 1920 x 1080
3) Track counts can be anywhere from 2 to over 100. I use pretty much all track types Arranger, Group, FX, Audio, Instrument, Midi, Folder, etc...
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), 16GB RAM, Steinberg UR22, OSX Mojave 10.14.3, Cubase 9.0.4

VariMu

Post by VariMu »

TrevorG wrote:Can't help but chuckle - while the work space system does work - it's not as convenient as the system EVERY OTHER APPLICATION ON EARTH FOLLOWS.
Exactly.
Core i7-3740QM | Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit | Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | Cubase 7.5 | Wavelab 6 | Plugins by Waves, Slate, URS, Celemony, Antares, SoundToys, Voxengo, iZotope, etc.

jb

Post by jb »

Hey,

On pc this can help:

You need some time to get it working perfectly, but for me this is a huge timesaver, every plugin that I use a lot, and also transport windows, video windows etc, always end up at predefined locations. Even with Cubase-files from other studio's! Works great as Windows folder manager too, you can set the location, and size of the window.

http://winsize2.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

The program runs in the background, and remembers window locations by name, or part of the name
so if you set plugins to be "always on top" in the prefs, activate the window and hit [CTRL +ALT + z] (1 x),and edit the ""remembered name" of the window in winsize2 so that it only contains the unique name of the plugin. Now every time the plugin opens it will jump to the location you want. Hit [CTRL +ALT + z] (3 x) to go to settings to edit these. Tip: don't set windows to "always" in winsise2. This way you can stil move them if needed, however, the next time opened they will jump to the predefined spot.

JB
Studio: Cubase 10.5 + jBridge 1.75
Intel I7 4930K @3.4Ghz/Asus P9X79/16gb/NVIDIA GeForce GT 610/RME Digiface and MultifacePCI/W10-64
Studio 2: Clone with RME digiface
Controllers: https://www.jbgeluid.nl/en/jurmix/
Dual Ipad2/16gb, Lemur running customized 16channel Mackie control and multiple 14 bits generic remote templates, presonus faderport, BCR2000

suntower

Post by suntower »

Ranting For Auld Lang Syne

If it makes one feel any better, I've been *witch* about this for... TEN years. It goes away... then re-appears... depending on the version and the mobo and the displays I'm using. Wasn't a problem in C5. Or C6. Then re-appeared when I upgraded mobo (but same version of Cubase!). And it -never- happens in any of my other apps.

My guess has always been that Cubase uses some sort of x-platform code 'library' so they can develop for Mac and Windows. So it's always a compromise---they -never- get the app to behave like a true Windows app. Or maybe it's the constant back and forth between Nuendo and Cubase.

Forget dockable windows. They haven't even gotten around to Accelerators or any of the other little nuances that make a true Win app. Maybe the Mac version adheres better to the Apple standard.

I think the o/p made a valid point about putting up with it for all this time. All the old time *witch* like me drifted away... or just gave up. They are who they are.

I just finished a survey and my complaints with the company are the same as they were in 2003... Not enough updates... too many hare-brained 'initiatives' that never go anywhere and keep them from focusing on the core product.

---JC
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Second: Sandybridge 16gb RAM 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase Pro 10, iCPro, WL9.5, Win 10
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

Conman

Post by Conman »

Waasa fuss? Resize window by HAND.
2 seconds. Done.
If this is all Cubase has to worry about I worry about some people.

This after some poor geek moaning about how Steinberg were snotty about extending a trial period but forgot to mention they already had extended it once. I wondedered (sic :mrgreen: ) about the state of that dude's head as well.
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

Conman

Post by Conman »

mashedmitten wrote:Steiny's said that they're going through all the legacy code in the program so hopefully things will change soon.
Legacy code? From the Atari?! :mrgreen:

VariMu

Post by VariMu »

Conman wrote:Waasa fuss? Resize window by HAND.
2 seconds. Done.
If your computer monitor switched itself off every few minutes, one could say, "Just switch it back on BY HAND. 2 seconds. Done."

And yes, you could switch it back on each time, but wouldn't it be a whole *blarnk* of a lot nicer for the monitor to simply stay on all the time? (You know, the way it's supposed to?)
Core i7-3740QM | Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit | Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | Cubase 7.5 | Wavelab 6 | Plugins by Waves, Slate, URS, Celemony, Antares, SoundToys, Voxengo, iZotope, etc.

Conman

Post by Conman »

VariMu wrote:
Conman wrote:Waasa fuss? Resize window by HAND.
2 seconds. Done.
If your computer monitor switched itself off every few minutes, one could say, "Just switch it back on BY HAND. 2 seconds. Done."

And yes, you could switch it back on each time, but wouldn't it be a whole *blarnk* of a lot nicer for the monitor to simply stay on all the time? (You know, the way it's supposed to?)
Well it fixes mine. I maybe do it once a year or two, on all kinds of OSes. What I mean is don't use the maximize button to resize the window. And I got the fix from here so I'm not the only one.

If your head hurts stop banging it against something hard. Bang it against something soft (you know, the way you're supposed to). :mrgreen: Which seems to make as much sense as the last quoted sentence.

Winter Rat

Post by Winter Rat »

Conman wrote: ..... What I mean is don't use the maximize button to resize the window. And I got the fix from here so I'm not the only one.
This is a very cute point of view. But let me remind you one thing: we've paid for every button in this app, for every comma in the manual, so each thing must be at its place and work properly. Now let's take a look what we've got with the every new version of the app: old bugs + handful new features -- old (good) features + new bugs. We're all "testing" the product, reporting about bugs and waiting for fixing for months (years). You know, I'd like to pay for the app in such a manner: 10% of amount in the counterfeit banknotes - if they find the notes, well, I'll "fix" it... in a couple of months (but not all the notes at once) and so on.. I believe it would be fair. ;) But we're good people and we bring them "good" money, and we help them to make Nuendo better, so I believe we deserve more respect to our needs.
So tell me, why can't we get the features we need??? The global trend of the software industry is the "user customization", let's take a FireFox or Chrome for example: there are the "core browser" and a lot of addons free or not, but you can decide to have or not to have. But Steinberg says: "we know better what is better for you!" Why?
Well, sure, Cubase is their child and they are free to do with it everything they want, paying no attention to the users. But lets play fair, I mean tell us that all our "feature requests" are useless and save our time and nerve. :roll:
Cubase 9.5
Win 8.1 or Win 10 Pro; Intel Core i7-8700K; Gigabyte GA-Z370 HD3P; 16 GB, 3000 MHz; GeForce GTX 1050.

ZeroZero

Post by ZeroZero »

Ganglia - et al:
Dockable windows:
Dont have to be compulsory - you can leave them undocked too. Ther is a 'magnetic area' around the window, a few pixels - if you go near that they dock

2] Maybe some kind of cascade type function - tohugh you can do this with a windows view - maybe thats a sloution of sorts a windows view set up to snap things back
Cubase 9, 64 bit Intel 8700k, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM PC, Win10, Focusrite Liquid 56 Running in Surround 5.1 British Rail sandwich circa 1967, a singing fish and an inert K9.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Zero_Zero

Return to “Older Cubase versions”